The Institute for International
Research on Youth at Risk
The Institute for International Research On Youth at Risk (YAR) has the following goals:
- To advance epidemiological knowledge on the causes of poor health outcomes prevalent among youth in the urban environment;
- To integrate theory and methods from multiple disciplinary traditions, including Medical Anthropology, Sociology, Clinical Psychology, and Virology;
- To develop community-based prevention and care models that reduce risk for poor social and public health outcomes in high risk youth populations, including violence, homelessness, STD's, and HIV infection;
- To establish community-based monitoring systems to identify emerging public health issues among high risk youth; and
- To promote greater dialogue between government, community, and research constituencies concerned with public health and high risk youth populations.